Founded in 1977, GMO is a private partnership committed to delivering superior investment performance and advice to our clients.? We offer strategies where we believe we are positioned to add the greatest value for our investors.? These include multi-asset class portfolios as well as dedicated equity, fixed income, and absolute return offerings, many of which employ the firm’s proprietary 7-year asset class forecasting framework.? Our client base is comprised primarily of institutions, including corporate and public defined benefit and defined contribution retirement plans, endowments, foundations, and financial intermediaries.
GMO, whose sole business is investment management, employs approximately 470 people worldwide and is headquartered in Boston with offices in San Francisco, London, Amsterdam, Sydney, and Singapore. We manage roughly $70 billion in client assets using a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches that blend traditional fundamental insights with innovative quantitative methods to identify undervalued asset classes and securities. Our valuation-based approach embeds several key factors, including: a long-term investment horizon, discipline, conviction, and a commitment to research. Our research emphasizes not only identifying and exploiting pricing dislocations but also understanding the long-term drivers of return in the markets in which we invest. We are known for our candor in sharing our views with clients and for our willingness to take bold, differentiated positions when opportunities warrant.
The Database Solutions team is responsible for designing, implementing, and supporting GMO’s hybrid on-premises and cloud database environment, with a heavy emphasis on SQL Server and Azure SQL. The team also supports Azure functions, Azure Databricks Service, Azure Synapse, Azure Data Factory, and other data-driven Azure resources. Responsibilities include day-to-day database administration work, design, and implementation of maintenance and optimization tasks, assisting developers in the creation of new and optimizing existing applications on top of databases and other formats of data on-premises and cloud. The team also provides support to all vendor and packaged applications which use the Microsoft data platform as a backend either on-premises or in the cloud. This position will be based in the Boston office. For the right candidate, we will consider hybrid or remote work.
The Database Solutions Engineer is responsible for ensuring the availability and optimization of the Microsoft Data Platform infrastructure both on-premises and in the cloud. Other tasks include automating maintenance, monitoring, alerting, and mitigation of potential issues using Azure Monitor and Kusto Query Language, Azure Function App, PowerShell, ServiceNow, etc. The Database Solutions Engineer will be involved in designing, deploying, managing, and monitoring Azure resources such as Azure SQL, Azure Synapse, Azure data factory, Azure data lake, and more. This position is an excellent opportunity to support teams performing cutting-edge data analysis with ML & AI. Database Solutions Engineers are encouraged and supported to acquire relevant Azure certifications.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support database service delivery to GMO business units (standard business hours with on-call rotation).
- Implement SQL Server enhancements and updates to ensure DBMS technology is current.
- Provide in-depth troubleshooting for performance-related production issues.
- Assist in building and maintaining the data storage infrastructure either in relational, non-relational, or other storage systems. For example, virtualized and physical SQL Server Clusters, Azure Data Lake.
- Optimize query performance against SQL Server, Azure Synapse, inside of Azure Data Factory components.
- Implement and maintain SQL HA functionality including multi-subnet Always On Availability Groups.
- Assist developers with their data-related code development efforts, focusing on performance, usability, and scalability.
- Assist with application and database redesign to optimize for the cloud.
- Participate in new data projects and assist with database design and architecture both on-premises and cloud.
- Automate repetitive tasks by integrating existing tools using TSQL/PowerShell/Azure Function/KQL or other technology.
- Assist GMO in migrating on-premises applications and databases to the most appropriate IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS solutions.
- 3+ years of experience working with large MS SQL Server databases in a 24x 7 x 365 production environment
- Experience in managing a large and varied SQL Server estate.
- Knowledge of SQL internals
- Comfortable with automation programming (preferably PowerShell or equivalent)
- Solid knowledge of database storage platforms and related configuration
- Experience administrating databases in a clustered environment
- Managing and implementing DR solutions for SQL Server
- Experience in SQL performance tuning and query optimization
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn Cloud Technology (Primarily Azure) and acquire certification(s) preferred
Candidates must have a strong background in database administration. A candidate’s ability to spot problem areas, analyze solutions, propose resolutions, and direct the implementation of those resolutions are essential skills for this role. Candidates should have a solid technical background, good written and oral communication skills, and the ability to work independently as well as within a team environment. A successful candidate is a motivated, enthusiastic self-starter with the ability to quickly learn new skills.